Here's a handy moving checklist to help prepare for your move!
Two Months Prior To The Move
- Create a list of all the items that need to be moved.
- Determine if our professionals will be packing, disassembling and loading your belongings.
- Call one of our OC Moving Services specialists to obtain a FREE quote.
- If applicable, speak with your employer regarding corporate reimbursement for job-related relocations and present the quote we have submitted.
- Read the "Ready To Move" brochure, provided by U.S. Department of Transportation, and understand your rights and our responsibilities.
- Save the phone number and the link to our site in case you have any future questions or need to double-check your reservation.
One Month Prior To The Move
- If you live or will be living in an elevator building, be sure to reserve a time slot at the pick-up and/or the drop-off location. It is advisable to book your movers in the morning if you have an elevator.
- Go to one of the USPS offices to change your address. It can take three weeks to process. You can also do it online.
- Contact any services you are currently using and inform them of your change of address:
- Utilities: Electric, gas, water, telephone, Internet, trash, cable/satellite, home security
- Personal: Cell phone, pharmacy, lawn service, banks/finance, credit card, auto finance, health club, baby sitter
- Professional: Doctor, dentist, accountant, lawyer, broker, insurance agency
- Government: Dept. of Motor Vehicles, Social Security Administration, state/federal tax bureaus, city/county
- tax assessor, Veterans Administration.
- Publications: Newspapers, magazines, newsletters, professional journals
Two Weeks Prior To The Move
- If the location permits, have a garage sale for all unwanted items. You may also donate your items to a local charitable organization.
- Remember to return any borrowed items from friends and family, or actual facilities such as library. Also, collect any items you may have lent out to others.
- Clean your kitchen cabinets and refrigerator from all unwanted grocery items.
- Under federal regulations, you have to dispose of flammables such as fireworks, cleaning fluids, acids, aerosol cans and any other chemicals or liquids. Disconnect any propane tanks. In addition, please be advised that we cannot transport any such items. For a complete list of items, please click here: Restricted Items
- If necessary, set up an appointment with a technician to disconnect any appliances such as refrigerator, stove and microwave.
One Week Prior To The Move
- For the most efficient move, pack everything you won't use for the next week, disassemble any furniture, and place things near the entrance. Keep in mind that our movers are also specialized in packing and disassembling, should you need help.
- Fragile items need to be wrapped in paper and have bubble wrap inside the box.
- Mark or name every box so our movers know where to place them upon delivery. Additionally, mark all the boxes you do not want moved or set them aside, away from everything else.
- Mark any boxes that should not be turned upside-down.
- For long-distance moves, it is essential to decide how you can safely transport your plants. An option would be to give them to friends and family, donate them, and/or sell them. Plants cannot survive in our trucks due to lack of hydration and sunlight.
- For liability purposes, we also do not transport any live animals or fish. It is essential to consider having enough space in your car for your pets, or to arrange for alternative travel arrangements for them.
One Day Prior To The Move
- Place fragile items aside from everything else. When the movers arrive, point out those items to ensure the most cautious transportation method.
- Place valuable items aside. We advise all customers to carry their jewelry, small electronics, and personal files. For a complete list of items, please view our Restricted Items list.
- Disconnect any electronics, appliances, and equipment.
The Day Of The Move
- One of our representatives will contact you to inform you that our movers have arrived. Please be sure to be at the premises two hours prior to the movers' arrival. Also, have your schedule open for two hours after the estimated time of completion of your move, just in case it runs long.
- Approve and sign the Estimate of Charges in addition to Bill of Lading sheets.
- Be sure to supervise the movers throughout the loading to ensure everything is loaded into the truck.
- Once the movers have loaded everything, make one last walk-through of the premises. Check for any items in the storage, garage, lockers, cabinets and closets. In addition, be sure to turn off light switches, water and furnace. Close any windows, and if applicable, leave the old keys.
The Day Of Delivery
- We strongly advise that you supervise the unloading of your items. Make sure there are no damages and nothing is left behind. In the case of damages, note them on Bill of Lading sheet.
- Our movers can also assist you with any furniture rearrangement. However, we do not install any appliances or electronics.
- Once the move has been completed, please sign the documents and keep them for your records. You may also need them for tax purposes.
- If you have any questions after your move, contact our representatives.